It happens every year. We promise ourselves that we’ll be healthy and won’t reach for the plate of cookies in the breakroom or the extra glass of wine at the holiday party, but we all know it’s tough to stay healthy during the holidays! But, there’s no reason you can’t fully embrace the holidays and enjoy the season while keeping your healthy habits. Here are some tips for staying healthy during the holiday season:
- Eat healthy whenever possible. If you just can’t say no to those treats that seem to be everywhere you go this month, be sure to stick to light and healthy meals when you’re not at parties. This can help to balance out the occasional indulgences.
- When you do treat yourself, do so in moderation. Go ahead, have that glass of egg nog, but say no to the second, third, or even fourth glass. Having small portions of holiday treats can help you feel like you’re not completely falling off the wagon.
- Stay active. Don’t let the stress of the holidays cause you to pass on the gym. This is always a busy time of year, but working out in the morning can help ensure you get some exercise in, before things come up throughout the day. Not one for the gym? Skip holiday shopping online and hit the stores, those extra steps really add up! Either way, staying active during the holidays can help you burn off any anxiety about spending time with your in-laws as well as burn off some of those extra calories.
- Avoid getting sick. No one likes getting sick, especially during the holidays. Be sure to get enough sleep, take vitamins, and get adjusted in order to boost your immune system. Don’t let a cold or the flu keep you from singing carols this season!
- Focus on what really matters. When it comes down to it, the most important part of the holidays is reflecting on what we’re thankful for and spending time with friends and family. Don’t let the parties, gifts, and decorations distract you from really enjoying the real meaning of the holidays.
What are your favorite tips to stay healthy during the holidays?