Chiropractic is a safe, holistic, and drug-free way to feel and function optimally during pregnancy. More pregnant women are seeking chiropractors to be a part of their prenatal health team due to increased awareness about chiropractic care and its many benefits for an expecting mama. Chiropractic care during pregnancy is very gentle and there are specific adjustments to help accommodate a woman’s changing body. This is why it is important to find a chiropractor who familiar with pregnancy and works with pregnant women often.
5 Reasons to See a Chiropractor During Pregnancy
1. Natural Relief from Lower Back Pain. Chiropractic care can help relieve lower back pain naturally and safely. It is estimated that more than 50% of women will experience pregnancy related lower back pain. The reason behind this is, as the belly grows the center of gravity moves forward, and lower back curve increases putting more pressure on the joints of the lower back and pelvis. Chiropractic adjustments help keep the spine and pelvis in alignment, helping prevent and alleviate lower back pain.
2. Ease Pregnancy Symptoms. Chiropractic can help ease pregnancy symptoms, such as nausea, heartburn and swelling in feet and hands. Chiropractic adjustments help ensure optimal brain-body communication, and if there are misalignments in the spine, nerve communication can be interrupted and symptoms begin to show. Take a look at the chart below to see if any of your symptoms can be related back the to spine and nervous system.
3. Stronger Immunity. Your immune system is intricately connected to your nervous system. Proper function of the nervous system is imperative for proper function of the immune system. Pregnancy can take a toll on the immune system and extra stress during this time can make your body more vulnerable to illness. Chiropractors can help keep you healthy and feeling great during your pregnancy. Chiropractors can also help you with proper nutrition, supplementation and healthy lifestyle changes which can all have a positive impact on you and your baby’s health.
4. Optimal Fetal Position. The position of the pelvis and sacrum play a large role in how a baby is most comfortably positioned in-utero. Chiropractic care can help ensure proper alignment of the pelvis allowing the baby to have optimal room in-utero, making it easier to him/her to get into a head down position. Proper positioning of the baby can help lower the risk of back labor and/or need for cesarean.
5. Easier Labor and Birth. Chiropractic adjustments can help shorten labor and make the birth process easier. If the mother’s spine and hips are in proper alignment, and the nerve communication to the muscles of the pelvic floor and uterus are free and uninterrupted, labor and birth can progress more easily and possibly take less time than if there was an alignment issue. For moms who want a drug-free natural birth, chiropractic care can help them achieve that goal.
Choosing chiropractic care during pregnancy is one of the most important and life changing choices you can make for you and your baby! Chiropractic care is a safe, gentle and drug free way to keep your body functioning and feeling its best. Chiropractors can provide you with natural and holistic expertise to help ensure you have a well-rounded team of health professionals by your side.